Monday, June 4, 2012

A Little Too Big!

Grace has been wanting to go shooting,
so I finally got around to taking her.
 We went over some basic rules!
(1) Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
(2) Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction.
(3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready
to shoot.
(4) Never shoot without an adult.
(5) If you see a gun lying around don't touch it.
Tell a grown up right away.
 Then I taught her how to cock and shoot
somebody's BB gun.
(I'm not sure which of my boys left it here)
 She did great!
But - this itty bitty BB gun is just a tad too big!
She really can't get the butt of the gun up
on her shoulder and use her sights to aim!
I need a smaller BB gun! I wonder if they even
make a smaller version?

But - Grace can hit a water bottle from about
three feet away. If she gets much further back she
end up shooting dirt.... but she does get within a foot of
her target. That's not bad for a three year old!

And - since we have several hunters in our
family Grace will be exposed to a gun or two!
And even though my boys keep their guns
locked up and in a safe place out of reach
of children - and we are all concerned about our
children and grand children's safety - humans are only human
and even those with the best intentions make occasional
mistakes. Should that happen - I want Grace to know that
she should never pick up and play with a gun!
If she sees one, she is to leave it alone and alert
an adult. I think she understands!

But - some things need a lot of reinforcing!
So we will most likely make "going shooting" something
we do from time to time!
I just need to be on the lookout for a smaller gun!
And here is Grace getting ready to take aim
at a faded Dr. Pepper can!

No comments:

Post a Comment